Reporting to the Manager of Legal, Procurement and IT, the Senior Procurement Advisor will have primary responsibility for the procurement function within the company, including everything from strategy to execution. This is a new function within Powertech, and will supervise the existing dedicated Buyer who currently administers the purchasing function. It is expected that over time the Senior Procurement Advisor will also lead more formal competitive procurement efforts, address needed policy level advances and identify/pursue other strategic challenges within the function.
At a policy level, the Senior Procurement Advisor will ensure that the company's procurement efforts are guided by an effective, efficient and practical Purchasing Policy and will lead any revisions required to this Policy over time. Moreover, the role is responsible for ensuring that the Policy is well understood and followed by staff across departments, and to ensure its practical application.
Additionally, this role is responsible for identifying areas where Powertech's needs justify a renewed procurement strategy to drive greater value in terms of client service, financial value and innovation. This pertains to processes used to complete client projects, as well as to those supporting Powertech's own operational needs and its expanding capital infrastructure. Powertech currently purchases approximately $10 million annually to support these efforts. In addition to setting the strategic path, the Senior Procurement Advisor serves a central role, either directly or through staff, in ensuring that Policy is followed and that purchasing decisions are properly made and approved as required. Identifying where Policy is being poorly followed or is not effectively supporting business needs is an important part of the position, as is determining effective corrective action, including working with employees to better understand procedures and making processes user-friendly.
This role is expected to make recommendations to Senior Management based on an analysis of what is currently working and not working within the job function, as well as on current and expected needs of the organization. As this is a new role to the organization, we are looking for an incumbent that has the maturity and experience to observe the strengths and weaknesses of existing policies and systems, and to drive change and enhancements as they grow and shape this position to create a superior service that is central and pivotal to Powertech’s operations.
The general scope of the work is to provide leadership and guidance in the procurement of a wide range of materials and services to support delivery of client projects as well as to support Powertech's own operating and capital needs, in accordance with Powertech's procurement policies and processes.
- Responsible for the Purchasing Policy and making recommendations as to how to maximize effectiveness/efficiency of the purchasing process while minimizing bureaucracy; this will include ensuring alignment with the procurement policy and practices of BC Hydro
- Responsible for recommending procurement models and determining appropriate sourcing methods, including the preparation and evaluation of contracting documents such as Supply Chain Strategy and Contracting Plan, RFT, RFP, RFQ, RFSQ, and RFEI
- Manage structured procurement processes from strategy to award, while providing leadership, strategic and advisory support to project managers
- Work with project teams/key stakeholders to identify project requirements based on internal current state analysis, financial consideration, best business practice, supply base characteristics, industry offerings, legal considerations, level of risk to Powertech Labs and any other opportunities or factors unique to the materials or service to be sourced
- Monitor processes with end users to ensure services and material are purchased effectively and in accordance with policies and directives across the organization
- Ensure completeness of official documentation and regularly evaluates the suitability of procedures and systems to support document creation and retention
- Report regularly to the department manager on the status of sourcing initiatives and escalate any issues that may negatively impact the success of the procurement process
- Participate in the identification and development of business process improvements to enhance operational efficiency
- Provide work direction to other team members within the immediate department and across the company.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders at all levels within the organization and external to Powertech
- Maintain familiarity of market participants and conditions impacting the availability and pricing of materials, equipment and services commonly required by Powertech
Experience & Education
- Bachelor’s degree in a business related field such as business, supply chain, finance, economics or in an equivalent field
- Completion of a professional designation such as SCMP or ISM preferred
- 7-10 years of procurement and sourcing experience
- Equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage moderate sized procurement projects, as well as dealing with a wide diversity of work on a daily basis
- Solid understanding of contract development, competitive bid law and contract law
- Excellent interpersonal, communications, negotiating, project management, planning and organizational skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to drive results
- Experience in crown corporations or government environments also considered an asset
- Experience should include: the development of procurement/ contracting strategies, including determining the optimal risk allocation; the preparation of procurement and contract documents; leading contractor/supplier negotiations; and supplier relationship management
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Excellent decision making and problem solving capabilities
- Excellent leadership, team building and project management skills
- Excellent analytical skills and detail-oriented
- Ability to build effective relationships
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment
- Demonstrated tenacity in follow up and follow through
- Demonstrates dependability and commitment to projects/tasks
- Organized and able to adapt to a constrained schedule and perform under pressure
- Highly safety oriented
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Job ID: PC2017.16
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
Compensation & Benefits: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Close Date: June 18, 2017
To apply and to learn more about Powertech Labs Inc., visit our website at powertechlabs.com.