Strategic Sourcing and Contract Lead
Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Strategic Sourcing and Contract Lead
Job Number: BCH-R-1651-190411E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time, Permanent
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- Our Supply Chain function is integral to keeping the business running and the lights on. As such, we are transforming our Supply Chain model through the implementation of a full category management capability to better meet the business’ requirements for quality, safety and reliability in what we buy for the best total cost and to ensure mutually beneficial supplier relationships. As the Operations & Enterprise (O&E) Supply Chain group, we are accountable to develop and implement strategies for the key categories that account for over 80% of BC Hydro’s annual $2 billion expenditures. Categories are organized in the following portfolios: Enterprise, Major Equipment, Engineering & Technical Services, Materials & Logistics, and Field Support Services.
- We are 3 years into our multi-year transformation journey in O&E Supply Chain, and we have openings for Strategic Sourcing and Contracts Leads (SSCL). The SSCL is a key member of a number of cross-functional teams that are working to develop multi-year category strategies that enable us to be smart about what and how we buy from whom, and in how we work with our suppliers in order to deliver on our vision, mission and corporate priorities. Their role is to lead teams through the development and implementation of complex sourcing, supplier relationship management (SRM) and contract management that is in alignment with specific category strategies.
- The ideal candidates will have sourcing expertise gained working within a complex business environment. They must have a proven track record of both developing and executing innovative and value-add sourcing strategies. They will be growth minded, able to stay calm in pressure situations, and be motivated by delivery of results, the success of the team, and creating sustainable change to mutual benefit of our company and our suppliers. It is vital that they are able to understand the team members, their current business context and adapt communications and leadership style to get things done.
- Our perfect person will be pragmatic, analytical, and be able to collaborate and communicate with a wide audience both internal and with the market. They will have experience in knowing how to engage the internal clients to define and prioritize business and technical requirements to align with longer-term business strategy. They will be proficient in organizing and managing multiple projects, priorities and constraints into integrated Sourcing, SRM and Contract Management plans by working effectively with those accountable for their individual ‘pieces’.
- High Level Outcomes * Ensures Category Strategy is viable from a sourcing, market readiness, and public procurement perspective.
- Develops complex sourcing strategies and plans that achieve BCH objectives and mandate.
- Leads complex sourcing process that is fair, transparent and results in a positive response from the market, optimal supply base and business continuity for BC Hydro.
- Plans and leads contract implementation and transition; develops the Supplier Relationship Management plan; to ensure that the intended outcomes are realized and sustained.
- Contributes to the sustainment and advancement of BC Hydro’s complex sourcing process.
- University degree Bachelor’s or equivalent.
- SCMP certification or other equivalent certification would be an asset.
- 8-10+ years sourcing and/or contract management experience or equivalent combination of education and experience; managed large, complex multi-year and multi-million dollar sourcing events and contracts.
- Experience working in a business environment that is complex, with multiple stakeholders and strategic considerations.
- Demonstrated knowledge and results in developing and executing complex sourcing, including negotiations and contract management strategies.
- The following Skills/Abilities/Competencies are associated with success for this role.
- Quick Learner with Growth Mindset: Must quickly learn BC Hydro processes, category management framework, complex sourcing and the different aspects of our BCH culture (e.g. operations, project delivery, corporate).
- Results Oriented Influencer: Always has the outcome and objectives in mind, confident and adept at shifting the thoughts, attitudes and behaviors of others.
- Analytical and Forward Thinker: Be able to create insights and ‘aha’ moments by thinking broadly and deeply and consider the overall big picture.
- Relationship Builder: Builds relationships by truly seeking to understand business partners’ priorities and their core requirements.
- Leadership: Takes accountability of planning and works towards achievements; uses persuasive influence when you don’t have authority.
- Communications (written/oral): Conveys information to people clearly and simply, in a way that means things are understood and get actioned.
- Planning & Project Management: Establishes plans through an interactive thinking and organizing process that builds clarity with respect to goal(s) and what is required to achieve the goal(s) and outcomes.
- Business Acumen: Be able to accurately assess complex BC Hydro sourcing and contract situations, what is needed, apply sound judgement and design pragmatic approach to deliver required progress.
- Strong candidates who may not meet all the required qualifications may be considered for our Category Management development program.
*PLEASE NOTE: This position could be assigned to support any of the Operations and Enterprise category portfolios as per business requirements
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by May 2nd, 2019.
To access the job posting, visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.