Business Improvement Advisor
Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Business Improvement Advisor
Job Number: BCH-R-9691-190510E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time, Permanent
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- BC Hydro’s Supply Chain function is integral to keeping the business running and the lights on. BC Hydro is transforming its Supply Chain model through the implementation of a full category management capability to better meet the business’ requirements for quality, safety and reliability in what we buy for the best total cost and to ensure mutually beneficial supplier relationships. The Operations & Enterprise Supply Chain group is accountable to develop and implement strategies for the key categories that account for over 80% of BC Hydro’s annual $2 billion expenditures. Categories are organized in the following portfolios: Enterprise, Major Equipment, Engineering & Technical Services, Materials & Logistics and Field Support Services. Our job is to give BC Hydro confidence that it is getting the best overall value from its overall expenditure. We are well into our multi-year transformational journey and we now have an opening for a Business Improvement Advisor (BIA).
- BIA’s are part of Supply Chain internal consultancy that are members of a number of cross-functional teams that develop multi-year category strategies related to plan-to-pay business change/ process optimization, sourcing, supplier management and contract management. The mission of the Business Improvement Advisor (BIA) is to create clarity through structured strategic analysis, ensure discipline and rigour is applied to solve complex problems and decisions, and implement change in order to produce the highest value outcomes for our key categories.
- Our successful candidate is a team player that is articulate, proactive and personable with a passion for business improvement. BIA’s are trusted advisors that bring value in both leading and supporting roles through their extensive experience with business analysis, modelling, structured decision making and project management. They are able to draw out collaborative insights, improvement prioritization and problem solving through structured frameworks to ensure decisions are effective and fact-based. BIA’s have developed quantitative, financial, statistical analysis and visual presentment of cost/benefits valuation, and decision support tools (e.g. options models/simulations). The ideal candidate has also led analysis to determine opportunities and requirements for business process improvement using a variety of frameworks and has a track record of successfully implementing change projects.
Our team of BIA’s are accountable for the following high level outcomes:
• Informs viability of Category Management strategy and change projects using structured and thorough impartial analysis, objective logic and fact based decision making
• Leads collaborative working groups that build collective understanding, support and implementation of business improvement opportunities
• Leads complex sourcing evaluations ensuring they are fair, transparent and will lead to BC Hydro having an optimal supply base and business continuity
• Contributes to the advancement and sustainment of business improvement, business valuation and decision advisory practices for category management and business change initiatives
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• 8+ years of experience in business analysis, process improvement, project management, stakeholder engagement and/or facilitation
• Proven experience organizing, modelling and translating data and insights into strategic options and structured decision making
• Communicates effectively verbally and in written form to various levels of audience
• Experience working in relevant industry; in a team-based environment that is complex, with multiple stakeholders and strategic considerations.
Core Skills/Abilities/ Competencies: • Analytical & Forward Thinking: Be able to create insights and “aha’ moments by thinking broadly and deeply and considers the overall big picture
• Quick Learner and Growth Mindset: Must quickly learn BC Hydro processes, category management framework and the different aspects of our BCH culture (e.g. operations, project delivery, corporate)
• Relationship Builder: Build relationships by truly seeking to understand business priorities and core requirements
• Persuasive Communications: Conveys information to people clearly and concisely, and in a way that builds commitment, credibility and is actioned
• Leadership: Takes accountability to ‘own’ it and make it happen, and uses influence when you don’t have control and always has outcomes and objectives in mind
• Planning & Project Management: Establishes plans through an interactive thinking and organizing process that builds clarity with respect to goal(s) and what is required to achieve the goal(s) and outcomes
• Business Acumen: Accurately assess business challenges and decision requirement complexity to identify what is needed, applies sound judgement and design pragmatic approaches to deliver required progress.
Please note: Up to two positions available.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by June 02, 2019.
To access the job posting, visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
More search results
Purchasing and Logistics Manager
Turnkey Modular Systems
Legislative Assembly of BC
Procurement manager/Procurement Engineer
Robert Half Canada
Global Sourcing Professional
Gypsum Technologies Inc.
Customer Supply Chain Mgr
TreeHouse Foods, Inc.