The Senior Purchaser position is responsible for timely and efficient procurement of TRU materials and services in accordance with TRU purchasing policies and procedures. The responsibility and requirements of this position are of a routine and non-routine nature, and require the ability to evaluate and analyze vendor responses, and departmental procurement needs.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Complete tender documents, purchase orders, and requisitions to meet required purchasing service standards, while ensuring compliance with TRU's purchasing policies.
- Coordinates the tender process (Requests for Proposals, Requests for Bids, Request for Tenders, Letters of Agreement, etc.) by ensuring documents are properly written, address all the significant issues, resolves problems as they arise, and that TRU is adequately protected. The competitive bidding process may include gathering information, answering queries, gathering quotations, posting to B.C. Bid, and filing all related correspondence.
- Review competitive bid responses, assesses compliance with original specifications, evaluates tender responses and vendor contracts, analyses offers to determine best value, participates in the review process and may be involved in presenting recommendations to Purchasing Manager/Department.
- Liaises with vendors and/or user departments to resolve issues regarding material and supply problems that occur.
- Negotiate with vendors to ensure pricing, product quality, and delivery of services meet with end user requirements.
- Provide advice, guidance, education, and training to end users; explains the competitive bidding process and TRU's purchasing policies, reinforcing the value Supply Management delivers.
- Collects and analyses data to determine the feasibility and advantage of establishing long-term supply contracts for high usage, high dollar volume, regularly purchased products which could more effectively leverage TRU's purchasing power.
- Keeps current regarding industry developments and trends, which may include legislative changes affecting the procurement industry, e-procurement initiatives, competitive bidding law changes, and industry best practices.
- Meets with vendor representatives to evaluate new products or services, reviews, tracks, and evaluates vendor performance, and investigates new opportunities for TRU to achieve savings or efficiencies.
- Meets with end user and advisory groups to gather feedback on vendor performance and products.
- Maintains up-to-date vendor files, including price lists, contact information, catalogues, market trends, comparative data and other information related to the purchasing function.
- Assists in tracking cost/negotiated savings on all purchases made by TRU as needed.
- Participate in purchasing department process reviews and provide improvement recommendations.
- Attends meetings and participates on committees as directed.
- Coordinates the disposal of obsolete and surplus goods.
- University Business Degree and completion of up to one year of the SCMP program, or equivalent
- Three years directly related purchasing experience
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE OR ABILITIES RELATED TO THE JOB
- Ability to build effective working relationships with vendors and internal departments by phone, e-mail, or in person
- Customer service oriented
- Thorough understanding of public sector purchasing and competitive bidding process
- Effective negotiation skills
- Ability to organize time effectively to meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to be professional, courteous, tactful and diplomatic in dealing with users, suppliers and peers
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally (presentation) and in writing
- Knowledge of ERP, purchasing systems, and Microsoft Office
- Sitting at a desk and computer for long periods of time
- Contact with staff and customers
- General office conditions
More search results
Purchasing and Logistics Manager
Turnkey Modular Systems
Legislative Assembly of BC
Procurement manager/Procurement Engineer
Robert Half Canada
Global Sourcing Professional
Gypsum Technologies Inc.
Customer Supply Chain Mgr
TreeHouse Foods, Inc.