SCB is looking for a skilled Purchaser to negotiate agreements and buy goods and services necessary for our business. This position will report directly to the COO and will work closely with the Project Management and Operations groups. This position has a direct impact on the company’s profitability by making timely, high-quality and cost-effective purchases.
The ideal candidate will have purchasing experience, a keen eye for detail and a commercial mindset. You should know how to evaluate market conditions and different suppliers. Communication skills will help you negotiate effectively and maintain profitable relationships.
The primary goal for this position is the timely aquisition of materials and services needed for the on time completion of SCB projects.
- Analyze purchase history and using forecast data, develop and implement profitable purchasing strategies
- Prepare and implement effective negotiation tactics
- Manage relationships with key suppliers to maintain quality of goods, timely delivery and compliance to terms of contracts
- Monitor stock levels and establish max/min levels on inventory
- Keep records, prepare and submit reports
- Purchase the highest quality merchandise at the lowest possible price and in correct amounts
- Prepare purchase orders, solicit bid proposals and review requisitions for goods and services
- Research and evaluate suppliers based on price, quality, selection, service, support, availability, reliability, production and distribution capabilities, and the supplier's reputation and history
- Analyze price proposals, financial reports, and other data and information to determine reasonable prices
- Monitor and follow applicable laws and regulations
- Negotiate, or renegotiate, and administer contracts with suppliers, vendors, and other representatives
- Monitor shipments to ensure that goods come in on time, and in the event of problems trace shipments and follow up undelivered goods
- Confer with staff, users, and vendors to discuss defective or unacceptable goods or services and determine corrective action
- Evaluate and monitor contract performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations and to determine need for changes
- Maintain and review computerized or manual records of items purchased, costs, delivery, product performance, and inventories
- Review catalogs, industry periodicals, directories, trade journals, and Internet sites, and consult with other department personnel to locate necessary goods and services
- Study sales records and inventory levels of current stock to develop strategic purchasing programs that facilitate employee access to supplies
- Interview vendors and visit suppliers' plants and distribution centers to examine and learn about products, services and prices
- Arrange the payment of duty and freight charges
- Write and review product specifications, maintaining a working technical knowledge of the goods or services to be purchased
- Monitor changes affecting supply and demand, tracking market conditions, price trends, or futures markets
- Formulate policies and procedures for bid proposals and procurement of goods and services
- Proven experience as a purchasing agent or relevant role
- Demonstrable experience in negotiating prices and terms and conditions
- Knowledge of market research, data analysis and purchasing best practices
- Working knowledge of MS Office
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A strong analytical mindset
Preferred Candidate will have:
- Experience purchasing lumber or wood fibre.
- International logistics experience.
- Certified Professional Purchaser (C.P.P.) or Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) designation, or be enrolled a program of study to obtain the SCMP designation.
This is a full-time permanent position, located at 1929 Foy Street, Abbotsford, BC V2T 6B1. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Please send your cover letter and resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.