Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Sr Category Lead
Job Number: 51031702
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
* Our Supply Chain function is integral to keeping the business running and the lights on. We’re transforming our Supply Chain model through the implementation of a full category management capability to better meet the business’ requirements for quality, safety and reliability in what we buy for the best total cost and to ensure mutually beneficial supplier relationships. As the Operations & Enterprise (O&E) Supply Chain group, we’re accountable to develop and implement strategies for the key products and services spend categories that account for over 80% of BC Hydro’s annual $2 billion expenditures. Categories are organized into five portfolios: Enterprise, Major Equipment, Engineering & Technical Services, Materials & Logistics, and Field Support Services
* It’s been a multi-year transformation journey and we have an opening for a Senior Category Lead position. The Senior Category Lead will work with cross-functional teams, sponsors and executives to create, implement and manage multi-year category strategies. Our category strategies enable us to be smart about what and how we buy from whom, and in how we work with our suppliers, to deliver on BC Hydro’s vision, mission and corporate priorities
* The mission of the Senior Category Lead is to ensure their categories are meeting performance objectives in support of BC Hydro’s goals and priorities. The Senior Category Lead will be accountable for developing a strong long-term vision for their categories in alignment with the Category Management program vision and BC Hydro’s priorities and executing to achieve it. To do this the Senior Category Lead operates like an overall “owner/CEO” of the category and is an expert in understanding both the current and longer-term considerations in the external category environment (suppliers and market) and BC Hydro’s internal drivers and requirements for the category. This role is responsible for BC Hydro’s Engineering category, which includes overseeing category strategies for Transmission Engineering, Generation & Civil Infrastructure, Repeatable Design and Engineering, and Engineering Specialty and Supporting Services. These contracts are critical to enable the delivery of large capital projects and programs across BC Hydro.
* The Senior Category Lead will often be managing multiple, complex categories with potential for significant change and high impact issues. Doing so effectively, and with minimal day-to-day managerial support, requires expert stakeholder management and business acumen. Senior Category Leads will be expected to provide coaching and mentorship to multiple cross-project team members often serving as the first point of contact for guidance on Category Management or escalation of issues
* Our ideal candidates are motivated by achieving results for BC Hydro, the success of their teams, and developing mutually beneficial supplier relationships. They are pro-active and take ownership. They are adept at creating and using influence where they do not have control. They have expertise managing cross functional teams and projects gained working in a complex business environment. Candidates will have a proven track record of both developing and executing value add category, supplier or similar business strategies to achieve specific business outcomes.
* Our profile person is a blend of strategic and pragmatic with a project management orientation: able to create longer-term strategic plans and able to organize and manage the multiple near-term priorities and issues to make progress on the longer term plan every day. Successful candidates will be team players, collaborators with a growth mindset, and able to stay calm and focused in pressured situations. They calibrate their excellent communications and facilitation skills to engage people at all levels to work effectively towards desired outcomes. Their ability to listen and connect the dots allows them to understand, prioritize and integrate business, technical and market trends and requirements to drive business strategies. It is vital that they can understand and are comfortable with changing and complex business context and adapt their leadership style to influence others at all levels to get things done. The ideal candidates understand what leadership means in the context of their role and within BC Hydro, and they’re open to learning and evolving their leadership.
High Level Role Outcomes
• Ensures assigned categories are operating in a way that meets performance objectives – both current and in the long-term. This includes seeing connections across categories and ensuring plans are current to manage risks and future changes.
• Is recognized as an expert for their assigned categories and the overall category management practice. Provides guidance to other Category Management employees and cross-functional team members.
• Acts as a leader/role model within Category Management and Supply Chain and contributes to the advancement of BC Hydro’s category management framework and processes.
• University degree Bachelor’s (MBA or Master’s or other additional education preferred)
• One or more professional designations and/or certifications (e.g. SCMP, APICS, PMP, P. Eng, etc) is a strong asset.
• Minimum of 8 years strategic level related business experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience planning and simultaneously managing multiple complex / large projects with ambitious deadlines and deliverables.
• Highly skilled in change management and excellent interpersonal skills, communications, relationship and coalition building with a high degree of persuasive influence skills.
• Experience leading cross-functional project teams in a complex business environment, with multiple stakeholders and strategic considerations.
The following Skills/Abilities/Competencies are associated with success for this role:
Strategic Thinking: Able to effectively deal with varied perspectives and the complexities of our company. Shows sound judgment and business acumen as analysis, trade-offs and decisions are informed by a broad, comprehensive, and long-term view - while taking into consideration internal and external stakeholders. Has a strategic thinking mindset reflected in their day-to-day work; can “connect the dots” understanding how one issue or decision impacts others. Execution and Working Smart: Plans ahead, solves problems, increases efficiency, and gets things done safely. Looks for ways to make process improvements by being open to employee recommendations for innovations that could positively impact our company.
Relationship Development and Collaboration: Intentionally develops collaborative relationships within, and external to, BC Hydro in support of business objectives. Understands the value of workforce diversity and the importance of including different perspectives to inform solutions to business problems. Models a one-hydro approach, ensuring that decisions support the broader needs of the organization.
People Leadership: Effectively uses a variety of strategies to enable team members to be as effective and productive as possible, holding individuals and teams accountable. Explains why change is needed, supports others through change, and builds an effective team. Motivates and inspires others and models positive leadership practices.
Communication & Presence: Communicates effectively with a variety of stakeholders in writing (briefings, presentations) and verbally (meetings, one-on-one). Knows the audience and can adjust the communication, accordingly, adapting to questions and audience needs. Projects a positive and poised presence; Is influential, present and attentive
Self-Management: Manages stress, a variable workload and competing demands. Promotes and models resiliency. Is self-aware and understands how their behaviour impacts others. Acknowledges mistakes and takes responsibility for their actions and work. Is open to learning and demonstrates, through their actions, the importance of self-development.
Business Acumen: Understanding of BC Hydro’s business context. Able to accurately assess complex Hydro needs and understand how the Category Management practice can address those needs. Apply sound judgement and pragmatic approach to achieve required progress and grow the Category Management practice.
In addition to the above competencies, we are looking for the following in our candidates:
• Quick learner with a growth mindset and team orientation.
• Accountable influencer that shapes perspectives and drives results.
• Planning & Project Management to establish plans and manage the plan(s) and resources to
achieve the goal(s) and outcomes.
* Depending on the applicant’s level of qualifications, competencies and experiences they could be considered for a Category Lead position.
* We may hire a second category lead position.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by March 02, 2021.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
More search results
Supply Chain and Purchasing Manager
Michael Page CA
Supply Chain Manager - Manufacturing
Michael Page CA
(CAN) Distribution Centre Team Associate - Logist…
Vice President of Logistics Technology
2219287 Ontario Inc.