- Vancouver Island University
- annually, plus benefits and pension
- Job Category
- Accounting / Finance
- Job Type
To be a part of the VIU community is to know what it is like to matter here. We are currently accepting applications for a Procurement Analyst.
MATTER HERE. Situated on the traditional territory of the Coast Salish peoples, Vancouver Island University is a comprehensive teaching university with 15,000 students across four campuses. VIU proudly fosters student success, strong community connections and international collaborations by providing access to a wide range of programs, from academic undergraduate and master’s to industry-responsive trades and vocational training. VIU is fortunate to host a large number of Indigenous students and provides a learning environment that is accessible, relevant for all learners, celebrates success and acknowledges history and traditions.
The Procurement Analyst is responsible for providing excellent customer service and leadership to all VIU departments and external suppliers with respect to Procure-to-Pay activities, as well as supplier database management, sourcing activities, competitive bid processes, purchasing card program, disposal of assets, contract/pricing negotiations, and contract/supplier management. This position reports directly to the Manager, Procurement Operations and interacts with Senior Executive, Senior Managers and business units across University departments and faculties.
· Manage supplier database, updating information and status, and ensure all new suppliers are set up and vetted appropriately as per VIU procedures.
· Review and process purchase requisitions submitted by University staff for requested goods and/or services in a timely manner, and issue purchase orders to suppliers ensuring accuracy of cost centre and account codes, price and availability, appropriate tax is applied or accessed, supplier has WorkSafeBC requirements (if applicable), any quotes or contracts referenced or attached are reviewed in full, and they comply with applicable trade agreements, VIU policies and procedures.
· Manage purchase orders, expedite the delivery of goods and services, investigate and resolve shortages, backorders, delivery and quality issues, generate reports, and tracks cost savings and other procurement metrics.
· Assist VIU employees with receiving goods/services in the system as well as facilitate any goods that need to be returned including coordinating repairs.
· Respond to and resolve any internal and external questions, issues, or requests for information pertaining to Procure-to-Pay process including any invoicing or receiving discrepancies, purchase order amendments, etc.
· Conducts competitive bid processes/projects (low-medium complexity) by leading cross-functional teams when applicable. Develops and issues competition documents (NRFP, RFT, RFQ, etc.) and facilitates evaluation processes, financial analysis, site visits, presentations, demonstrations, recommendations to business units/decision makers, vendor debriefings, and contract negotiations right through to contract award. Prepares and maintains accurate records and documentation.
· Ensures all competitive processes are done in a fair, transparent, and ethical manner, and in compliance with applicable trade agreements, regulations, laws, related purchasing practices, policies and procedures.
· Enter contract data in contract database, and assist with analyzing reports on contracts coming up for expiry, contacting VIU departments on next steps, assisting with amendments, and inputting performance data.
· Meets with vendors and/or business units to resolve low complexity contract related issues or changes.
· Act as coordinator for purchasing card program, including requesting/issuing/closing credit cards with card provider, setting up VIU card holder in system database, assist with card holder issues, ensure card holders reconcile statements monthly and card holders abide by policy and procedures; escalate to Manager when Pcard process is not followed.
· Manage asset disposal or selling of assets as per VIU policies and procedures, and other Procurement led programs or functions such as stationery on-line ordering.
· Provide input to setting up or revising products in system, including tax implication, units of measure, descriptions or prices as directed by Management.
· Provide system training to VIU employees on a daily basis and participate in session training, problem solving, troubleshooting, etc.
· Participate in the review and development of Procurement processes and procedures with Procurement / Finance Management.
· Proactively builds relationships and provides procurement consultative services, guidance, and education to all levels of VIU employees, and suppliers through interpretation of policy, procedures, government trade agreements and legislation, and best practices. Participates in business unit meetings/planning sessions as required.
· A diploma in Business related studies or enrollment in Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) program, plus 3 years procurement experience working in a diverse environment. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of public procurement, contract law, federal and provincial taxation, WorkSafeBC, customs, FOIPPA, current trade agreements and provincial public sector procurement standards.
· Experience with sourcing a variety of goods and services and negotiating prices, delivery dates, and payment terms with suppliers.
· Customer service focused approach to procurement and contract management. Ability to deal with a wide range of people with tact, diplomacy, and patience.
· Strong organizational, interpersonal and administration skills. Ability to prioritize multiple work tasks and switch between detailed tasks quickly. Ability to handle pressure and set priorities.
· Ability to communicate effectively. Excellent knowledge of English language, verbal and written,
· Strong analytical skills, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail. Ability to perform financial analysis, interpretation, and know when to escalate to Manager.
· Positive attitude and ability to exercise tact, discretion on confidential matters, and good judgment.
· Strong level of computer literacy, to include MS PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
· Knowledge and experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems.
View the full job description and apply online by 08-Sep-2021.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. VIU embraces the principle of employment equity and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and people of Indigenous descent.