Business Improvement Advisor - Category Management
Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Business Improvement Advisor - Category Management
Job Number: BCH-R-9283-210827E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
* BC Hydro’s Supply Chain function is integral to keeping the business running and the lights on. BC Hydro is transforming its Supply Chain model through the implementation of a full category management capability to better meet the business’ requirements for quality, safety and reliability in what we buy for the best total cost and to ensure mutually beneficial supplier relationships.
The Operations & Enterprise Supply Chain group is accountable to develop and implement strategies for the key categories that account for over 80% of BC Hydro’s annual $2 billion expenditures. Categories are organized in the following portfolios: Enterprise, Major Equipment, Engineering & Technical Services, Materials & Logistics and Field Support Services. Our job is to give BC Hydro confidence that it is getting the best overall value from its overall expenditure. We are well into our multi-year transformational journey and we now have an opening for a Business Improvement Advisor (BIA).
BIA’s are part of Supply Chain internal consultancy that are members of a number of cross-functional teams that develop multi-year category strategies related to procure-to-pay business change/process optimization, sourcing, supplier management and contract management.
The mission of the Business Improvement Advisor (BIA) is to create clarity through structured strategic analysis, ensure discipline and rigour is applied to solve complex problems and decisions, and implement change in order to produce the highest value outcomes for our key categories. More specifically, the BIA will perform UATs, make adjustments to improve user experience, and maintain version controls. They will create custom VBA codes to automate logic and provide preliminary decision-making options. The work will include building forms and data tables to allow for multiple users to enter information and creating initial documentation for training and sustainment purposes.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic team at BC Hydro, working on critical work packages to advance implementation of key strategies that are expected to drive significant benefits for the organization over years to come. Our ideal candidate is a team player that is articulate, proactive and personable with a passion for business improvement. They will have the ability to understand business requirements and translate them to functional requirements and visually translate information into reports based on adjustable parameters.
BIA’s are trusted advisors that bring value in both leading and supporting roles through their extensive experience with business analysis, modelling, structured decision making and project management. They draw out collaborative insights, excel at improvement prioritization and problem solve through structured frameworks to ensure decisions are effective and fact-based. BIA’s have developed quantitative, financial, statistical analysis and visual presentment of cost/benefits valuation, and decision support tools (e.g. options models/simulations).
The ideal candidate has also led analysis to determine opportunities and requirements for business process improvement using a variety of frameworks and has a track record of successfully implementing change projects.
Our team of BIA’s are accountable for the following high-level outcomes:
• Informs viability of Category Management strategy and change projects using structured and thorough impartial analysis, objective logic and fact-based decision making.
• Leads collaborative working groups that build collective understanding, support and implementation of business improvement opportunities. Builds rapport with teams and clients.
• Leads complex sourcing evaluations ensuring they are fair, transparent and will lead to BC Hydro having an optimal supply base and business continuity.
• Contributes to the advancement and sustainment of business improvement, business valuation and decision advisory practices for category management and business change initiatives.
• Employs systematic decision-making approaches and develop proficiency in structuring information, examining alternatives and building stakeholder consensus. Disciplined decision-making using data analysis and visualization tools to inspire success in objectives.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
• 8+ years of experience in business analysis, process improvement, project management, stakeholder engagement and/or facilitation. Preference given to candidates with experience in business analysis and/or process improvement relation to category management within supply chain projects/programs.
• Proven senior level experience organizing, modelling and translating data and insights into strategic options and structured decision making.
• Communicates effectively verbally and in written form to various levels of audience.
• Experience working in relevant industry; in a team-based environment that is complex, with multiple stakeholders and strategic considerations.
• Analytical & Forward Thinking: Be able to create insights and “aha’ moments by thinking broadly and deeply and considers the overall big picture.
• Quick Learner and Growth Mindset: Must quickly learn BC Hydro processes, category management framework and the different aspects of our BCH culture (e.g. operations, project delivery, corporate). Embraces challenges, integrates feedback and demonstrates perseverance.
• Persuasive Communications: Conveys information to people clearly and concisely, and in a way that builds commitment, credibility and is actioned.
• Relationship Builder and Collaborator: Intentionally develops collaborative internal and external relationships by truly seeking to understand business priorities, values workforce diversity and inclusivity. Recognizes how and when to escalate problems that require senior decisions. Analyzes the organizations broader needs, core category requirements and includes different perspectives to provide informed solutions.
• Leadership: Takes accountability to ‘own’ it and make it happen, and uses influence when you don’t have control and always has outcomes and objectives in mind.
• Planning & Project Management: Establishes plans through an interactive thinking and organizing process that builds clarity with respect to goal(s) and what is required to achieve the goal(s) and outcomes. Develops, analyzes, facilitates and contributes to sourcing plans and category objectives.
• Business Acumen: Accurately assess business challenges and decision requirement complexity to identify what is needed, applies sound judgement and designs pragmatic approaches to deliver required progress. Presents the aptitude, attitude and fortitude to deliver sustainable processes.
* Please note, a valid Class 5 Driver's license is not mandatory but is considered highly beneficial as this role requires travel to various BCH locations and supplier sites.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by September 19, 2021.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com .