Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Project Manager 1, Category Mgmt - PMO
Job Number: BCH-R-1016-210827E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
* Our Supply Chain function is integral to keeping the business running and the lights on. As such, we are transforming our Supply Chain model through the implementation of a full category management capability to better meet the business’ requirements and drive benefits for BC Hydro. In Category Management we are accountable to develop and implement strategies for the key categories that account for over 80% of BC Hydro’s (BCH) annual $2 billion expenditures.
* We have an opening for a pragmatic and enthusiastic Project Manager for the Category Management Program Management Office (PMO). This role works with the entire Category Management team to develop, maintain and communicate annual and multi year plans for business groups across BC Hydro. To do so, the focus of the role is to work alongside Category Management’s portfolios and practice areas (e.g. sourcing, contract management, supplier relationship management, business process improvements and benefits) to ensure effective, integrated planning, communications, and project management practices and tools that are essential for efficient category management delivery are effectively being utilized, maintained, and improved as the practice evolves.
* The PMO provides a range of project management support to Category Management. This Project Manager position leverages planning and resource forecasting skills to support the development of project and program-level plans; and provides expertise, coaching, mentoring, guidance, and support cross-functionally to individuals that play key roles in improving BC Hydro’s supply chain management.
* Our ideal candidate is a skilled communicator, a realistic optimist, and a fast learner able to communicate and engage effectively with a wide audience. They enjoy working across multiple teams and leveraging their project management and communication skills & experience to help others plan and think critically and strategically about the future. They will be able to demonstrate their know-how in ‘rolling – up’ multiple projects, priorities, and constraints into an overall program plan by working effectively with those accountable for their individual ‘pieces’ and having a clear, well-articulated process and effective tools to do so.
High Level Outcomes:
1. Run the processes/tools that have been created to develop annual and multi year program level plans, category level project plan and resourcing schedules; manage, track and report on project milestones; and forecast resourcing needs
2. Ensure that processes and tools are sustained, that usage is high and that continuous improvements are made to increase planning efficiency within Category Management and with joint business group plans
3. Lead initiatives to improve processes and tools related to the delivery of work across multiple programs
4. Provide coaching/training and guidance to Category Management team on project management, planning, resource forecasting and scheduling
5. Provides timely insight and guidance to the Category Management leadership team, PMO Program Manager and Category Leads on how to keep project level and program level plans on track or make adjustments as needed.
* University degree Bachelor’s (MBA or Master’s preferred).
* Minimum of 8 years related project management experience, Project/Program Management Office experience within complex service areas/categories, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Preference given to candidates with demonstrated experience managing complex projects in the area of Supply Chain, specifically in relation to sourcing, contract management, supplier relationship management, and business process improvements/ benefits.
* Project Management Institute (PMI) certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP) or equivalent is considered an asset
* Strong and proven leadership, stakeholder engagement, collaboration, organization, planning, analytical and problem-solving skills are required.
* Well-developed oral, written, presentation, interpersonal communications and staff management skills, knowledge and experience.
* Excellent knowledge of Excel, Microsoft Office project, analytical tools, visual presentment and translating data insights into reporting and decision documents. Knowledge of other tools such as SAP, Tableau, Business Warehouse is considered an asset
BC Hydro competencies describe behaviours of effective performance for each role level and can be used as a tool to help employees understand what is expected of them in order to meet the requirements of their current roles, as well as when looking to develop beyond their current role.
The BCH P3 competencies are: Strategic Thinking, Execution and Working Smart, People Leadership, Relationship Development and Collaboration, Communication and Presence and Self-management.
Additional competencies/abilities/skills for this role include:
• Planning and Program Management: Establishes plans through an interactive thinking and organizing process that builds clarity with respect to goal(s) and what is required to achieve the objectives
• Stakeholder relationships: Understands the needs of the team and business groups and the impact that plans and decisions will have on them
* Please note this is a re-bulletin and previous candidates do not need to re-apply.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by Sept 19, 2021.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com .