Category Lead (3 roles)
Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Category Lead (3 roles)
Job Number: BCH-R-5668-210909E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
* Our Supply Chain function is integral to keeping the business running and the lights on. We’re transforming our Supply Chain model through the implementation of a full category management capability to better meet the business’ requirements for quality, safety and reliability in what we buy for the best total cost and to ensure mutually beneficial supplier relationships.
* As the Operations & Enterprise (O&E) Supply Chain group, we’re accountable to develop and implement strategies for the key products and services spend categories that account for over 80% of BC Hydro’s annual $2 billion expenditures. Categories are organized into five portfolios: Enterprise, Major Equipment, Engineering & Technical Services, Materials & Logistics, and Field Support Services.
* We’re five years into our multi-year transformation journey in O&E Supply Chain, and we have openings for a few Category Lead (CLs) positions. CLs work with cross-functional teams, sponsors and executives to create, implement and manage multi-year category strategies. Our category strategies enable us to be smart about what and how we buy from whom, and in how we work with our suppliers, in order to deliver on BC Hydro’s vision, mission and corporate priorities.
* The mission of the CL is to ensure their categories are meeting performance objectives in support of BC Hydro’s goals and priorities. To do this the CL operates like an overall 'owner/manager' of the category, and is an expert both in understanding the external category environment (suppliers and market) and in BC Hydro’s internal drivers and requirements for the category. CL’s leads cross-functional teams to develop and implement category strategies and are responsible for planning and actively assessing, communicating, and managing category performance.
* Throughout the category management lifecycle, they directly perform and/or project manage: strategy development, sourcing, business process improvements, supplier relationship management (SRM), benefits realization and provide support on contract management. Key to their success is building and managing relationships across internal business groups, stakeholders and suppliers, and being proficient at organizing and managing across projects and constraints to ensure sourcing, SRM, contract management and business process improvement plans are integrated effectively.
* Our ideal candidates are motivated by achieving results for BC Hydro, the success of their teams, and having mutually beneficial supplier relationships. They are pro-active and take ownership. They are adept at creating and using influence where they do not have control. They have expertise managing cross functional teams and projects gained working in a complex business environment. Candidates will have a proven track record of both developing and executing value add category, supplier or similar business strategies to achieve specific business outcomes.
* Our profile person is a blend of strategic and pragmatic with a project management orientation:
Able to create longer-term strategic plans and able to organize and manage the multiple near-term priorities and issues to make progress on the longer term plan every day. Successful candidates will be team players, collaborators with a growth mindset, and able to stay calm and focused in pressured situations. They calibrate their excellent communications and facilitation skills to engage people at all levels to work effectively towards desired outcomes. Their ability to listen and connect the dots allows them to understand, prioritize and integrate business, technical and market trends and requirements to drive business strategies. It is vital that they are able to understand and are comfortable with changing and complex business contexts and adapt their leadership style to influence others at all levels to get things done. The ideal candidates understand what leadership means in the context of their role and within BC Hydro, and they’re open to learning and evolving their leadership.
High Level Outcomes
• Ensures assigned categories are operating in a way that meets performance objectives and in alignment with approved strategies. This includes ensuring plans are in place to manage risks and anticipate future trends, needs, changes.
• Leads/Manages development and implementation of: category strategies, sourcing, business process improvements, supplier relationship management (SRM), benefit realization plans and other category management processes; supports the business in contract management.
• Is recognized as a Category Expert for assigned categories. Knowledgeable in BC Hydro’s current and likely/possible future business requirements. Understands the current and future supply market.
• Contributes to the sustainment and advancement of BC Hydro’s category management framework and processes.
• University degree Bachelor’s or equivalent.
• 8+ years proven track record of both developing and executing value-add category, supplier or similar business strategies to achieve specific business outcomes.
• Experience managing cross-functional project teams in a complex business environment, with multiple stakeholders and strategic considerations.
• Experience planning and leading change initiatives using structured project management or equivalent.
• Experience communicating effectively verbally and in written form to various levels of audiences.
The following Skills/Abilities/Competencies are associated with success for this role:
Strategic Thinking: Able to effectively deal with varied perspectives and the complexities of our company. Shows sound judgment and business acumen as analysis, trade-offs and decisions are informed by a broad, comprehensive, and long-term view - while taking into consideration internal and external stakeholders. Has a strategic thinking mindset reflected in their day-to-day work; can “connect the dots” understanding how one issue or decision impacts others.
Execution and Working Smart: Plans ahead, solves problems, increases efficiency, and gets things done safely. Looks for ways to make process improvements by being open to employee recommendations for innovations that could positively impact our company.
Relationship Development and Collaboration: Intentionally develops collaborative relationships within, and external to, BC Hydro in support of business objectives. Understands the value of workforce diversity and the importance of including different perspectives to inform solutions to business problems. Models a one-hydro approach, ensuring that decisions support the broader needs of the organization.
Communication & Presence: Communicates effectively with a variety of stakeholders in writing (briefings, presentations) and verbally (meetings, one-on-one). Knows the audience and can adjust the communication accordingly, adapting to questions and audience needs. Projects a positive and poised presence; is influential, present and attentive.
Self-Management: Manages stress, a variable workload and competing demands. Promotes and models resiliency. Is self-aware and understands how their behaviour impacts others. Acknowledges mistakes and takes responsibility for their actions and work. Is open to learning and demonstrates, through their actions, the importance of self-development.
Business Acumen: Able to assess complex BC Hydro supply market, sourcing and contract situations, what is needed, apply sound judgment and design pragmatic approach to deliver required goal(s) and outcomes.
In addition to the above competencies, we are looking for the following in our candidates:
• Quick learner with a growth mindset and team orientation.
• Accountable influencer that shapes perspectives and drives results.
PLEASE NOTE: Depending on the applicants’ level of qualifications, competencies and experiences they could be hired for Category Lead or Category Management Trainee program. Candidates with experience exceeding the Category Lead qualifications may be considered for a Senior Category Lead role.
* Please note there are multiple positions available
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html October 1, 2021.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com .
More search results
Senior Director, Supply Chain
Xenon Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Director, Procure to Pay Services
Dalhousie University Financial Services
Ocean Import Agent
PROCUREMENT AND INVENTORY MANAGER
Government of Bermuda
G.P. SPEEDY DELIVERY HOTSHOT SERVICE LTD.