Business and Contract Manager - IPP Portfolio Management
Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Business and Contract Manager - IPP Portfolio Management
Job Number: BCH-R-0620-211110E1
Job Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
BC Hydro acquires power from Independent Power Producers (IPPs) to help meet B.C.'s electricity needs. BC Hydro’s IPP Portfolio Management team is responsible for managing business and contractual relationships with IPPs that develop and operate electricity generation projects such as wind, water, biomass and solar and sell power to BC Hydro. BC Hydro’s portfolio of IPP contracts includes about 130 agreements and IPPs comprises about 25% of BC Hydro’s electricity supply.
Our team includes senior professionals from diverse backgrounds with strong commercial instincts, and they are responsible for managing a range of complex issues. Activities may include contract interpretation, strategic evaluation, financial analysis, commercial negotiations, dispute resolution and day-to-day contract management.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
* Managing complex electricity purchase agreements and program related issues where significant financial and/or corporate risks exist, which may involve: - Interpreting contract language with respect to commercial terms and obligations; - Monitoring compliance with the terms of the agreement and resolving any disputes that may arise; - Identifying opportunities to reduce costs; - Carrying out cost benefit analysis and financial modelling related to contract administration; - Working closely with IPP’s and BC Hydro staff in the administration of electricity purchase agreements; - Leading or supporting commercial negotiations with IPP’s; - Leading development of new programs and initiatives, where no precedent exists.
* Carrying out financial and strategic analysis related to forecast costs, specific contract terms, program metrics, etc., where significant financial and/or corporate risks exist.
Bachelor degree in Finance, Commerce or Engineering, ideally combined with additional graduate or post-graduate education in business or law and/or a professional designation (e.g., CPA, CFA). Equivalent experience will be considered.
* At least 10 years of professional experience with at least 5 years of direct involvement in one or more of the following areas of focus: business case development and/or strategic assessment, contract management, financial analysis (including financial modelling), contract law, and/or commercial negotiations.
* Demonstrated experience leading complex projects and initiatives that involve cross-functional teams.
* Strong business acumen and an ability to make decisions at a strategic level, taking into consideration often competing interests and emerging policies.
* The successful applicant will be a resilient and positive self-starter with a high level of skill and ability to provide effective leadership during times of change and changing priorities.
* Strong service orientation and experience with working with executives, as well as with all levels of an organization.
* Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel for analysis and modelling.
* Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail, problem-solving and ability to work well in a fast-paced environment.
* Excellent relationship building skills and the ability to communicate effectively and cultivate quality relationships with customers, First Nations, and key business partners.
BC Hydro employees will be required to provide proof they are fully vaccinated effective November 22, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by November 29, 2021
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com .
More search results
Supply Chain Specialist
BE Power Equipment
Business Improvement Advisor- Category Management
BC Hydro - 293859
Director of Logistics & Facilities
Air and Ocean Logistics Coordinator
Near North Customs Brokers Inc.