Reporting to the Purchasing Supervisor, the Contract Specialist (at Teck known as the Purchasing Agent) is responsible for acquiring the best total value in the acquisition of materials and services to meet ongoing needs and support initiatives. There may be periodic requirements for the successful candidate to travel amongst our active sites within the Elk Valley of British Columbia (BC).
To be successful, we are looking for an independent professional who excels in a high-performance atmosphere. This person also has strong interpersonal and communication skills, who can mentor others. Excellent negotiating and decision-making skills, and strong abilities to find solutions, are vital.
This is an exciting opportunity to implement improvements to streamline business practices and be key to the successful execution of contracts! Opportunity may exist to collaborate across all the Teck Resources Business Units with SCM counterparts and you will gain invaluable knowledge of our business.
Join us in Calgary in Alberta, or in Sparwood within the breathtaking Elk Valley of BC. In both locations, you will find outdoor adventure at your fingertips. Whether it is biking and skiing, or the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone. Working a compressed work week with alternating Fridays off, come experience what work life balance is all about!
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Ensure a timely and cost-effective supply of materials and services
- Ensure compliance with departmental operating policies and procedures
- Develop, implement, and manage cost savings ideas
- Plan and execute Request for Proposal (RFP) processes, evaluate proposals, recommend awards, and write and administer contracts
- Evaluate and monitor contract performance to determine amendments, extensions, and compliance to contractual obligations
- Negotiate contract terms and conditions while maintaining positive supplier relationships
- Coordinate with project managers, project teams, project services fields, and corporate shared service groups in regard to contract management strategies, options, and considerations throughout all stages of contract lifecycles
- Implement effective organizational change to ensure contract modifications are accurately evaluated, detailed, and approved
- Resolve issues that arise between contractors and project teams
- Degree, diploma, certificate, or designation, such as Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) or a similar program; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum five years of meaningful experience, including experience with bidding and contract execution
- Excellent digital literacy and experience with the Microsoft Office Suite®
Successful candidates must be willing to satisfy the pre-employment requirements of a pre-employment drug screen and three professional references.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.