Senior Category Lead, IT
Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Senior Category Lead, IT
Job Number: BCH-R-2367-220627E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Powered by water... and by people like you
Providing clean electricity to 4 million customers takes a diverse workforce and that’s where you come in. We need your talent to help us build major projects to meet growing demand. To help our customers find clean energy solutions for their homes and businesses and to be ready to respond during storms and outages to keep our system reliable.
Working for BC Hydro is meaningful. And now, the stakes have been raised as we work towards a solution to climate change while safely providing clean, affordable electricity to our customers.
We offer a healthy work life balance, training opportunities and career progression. We're proud to be ranked as one of B.C.'s Top Employers and one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers. Join us as we build an even cleaner B.C.
* Our Supply Chain function is integral to keeping the business running and the lights on. We’re transforming our Supply Chain model through the implementation of a full category management capability to better meet the business’ requirements for quality, safety and reliability in what we buy for the best total cost and to ensure mutually beneficial supplier relationships. As the Operations & Enterprise (O&E) Supply Chain group, we’re accountable to develop and implement strategies for the key products and services spend categories that account for over 80% of BC Hydro’s annual $2 billion expenditures. Categories are organized into five portfolios: Enterprise, Major Equipment, Engineering & Technical Services, Materials & Logistics, and Field Support Services.
* The mission of the Senior Category Lead is to ensure their categories are meeting performance objectives in support of BC Hydro’s goals and priorities. The Senior Category Lead will be accountable for developing a strong long-term vision for their categories in alignment with the Category Management program vision and BC Hydro’s priorities and executing to achieve it. To do this the Senior Category Lead operates like an overall “owner/CEO” of the category and is an expert in understanding both the current and longer-term considerations in the external category environment (suppliers and market) and BC Hydro’s internal drivers and requirements for the category.
* We are looking for a Senior Category Lead for the Information Technology category. The Technology category is a complex and strategic category for BC Hydro with spend of greater than $150 million per year of spend. Within Technology there are a number of subcategories which include software and hardware acquisitions, infrastructure, application maintenance and outsourcing arrangements that are critical to modernizing our environment and ensuring ongoing reliability.
* We are looking for a Senior Category Lead with mature supply chain/business experience and ability to manage complex relationships to be able to advance the key strategies within this category, take supplier relationships to the next level and work effectively with internal business partners to drive change that will lead to sustained benefits.
* This posting will also be used to identify candidates for other categories as needs arise.
* The Senior Category Lead will often be managing multiple, complex categories with potential for significant change and high impact issues. Doing so effectively, and with minimal day-to-day managerial support, requires expert stakeholder management and business acumen. Senior Category Leads will be expected to provide coaching and mentorship to multiple cross-project team members often serving as the first point of contact for guidance on Category Management or escalation of issues.
* Our profile person is a blend of strategic and pragmatic with a project management orientation: able to create longer-term strategic plans and able to organize and manage the multiple near-term priorities and issues to make progress on the longer term plan every day. Successful candidates will be team players, collaborators with a growth mindset, and able to stay calm and focused in pressured situations. They calibrate their excellent communications and facilitation skills to engage people at all levels to work effectively towards desired outcomes. Their ability to listen and connect the dots allows them to understand, prioritize and integrate business, technical and market trends and requirements to drive business strategies. It is vital that they can understand and are comfortable with changing and complex business context and adapt their leadership style to influence others at all levels to get things done. The ideal candidates understand what leadership means in the context of their role and within BC Hydro, and they’re open to learning and evolving their leadership.
High Level Role Outcomes
• Ensures assigned categories are operating in a way that meets performance objectives – both current and in the long-term. This includes seeing connections across categories and ensuring plans are current to manage risks and future changes.
• Is recognized as an expert for their assigned categories and the overall category management practice. Provides guidance to other Category Management employees and cross-functional team members.
• Acts as a leader/role model within Category Management and Supply Chain and contributes to the advancement of BC Hydro’s category management framework and processes.
• University degree Bachelor’s (MBA or Master’s or other additional education preferred)
• One or more professional designations and/or certifications (e.g. SCMP, APICS, PMP, P. Eng, etc) is a strong asset.
• Minimum of 8 years strategic level related business experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Preference given to candidates with strong category management experience within a large, complex organization.
• Experience planning and simultaneously managing multiple complex / large projects with ambitious deadlines and deliverables.
• Highly skilled in change management and excellent interpersonal skills, communications, relationship and coalition building with a high degree of persuasive influence skills.
• Experience leading cross-functional project teams in a complex business environment, with multiple stakeholders and strategic considerations.
The following Skills/Abilities/Competencies are associated with success for this role:
* Strategic Thinking: Able to effectively deal with varied perspectives and the complexities of our company. Shows sound judgment and business acumen as analysis, trade-offs and decisions are informed by a broad, comprehensive, and long-term view - while taking into consideration internal and external stakeholders. Has a strategic thinking mindset reflected in their day-to-day work; can “connect the dots” understanding how one issue or decision impacts others.
* Execution and Working Smart: Plans ahead, solves problems, increases efficiency, and gets things done safely. Looks for ways to make process improvements by being open to employee recommendations for innovations that could positively impact our company.
* Relationship Development and Collaboration: Intentionally develops collaborative relationships within, and external to, BC Hydro in support of business objectives. Understands the value of workforce diversity and the importance of including different perspectives to inform solutions to business problems. Models a one-hydro approach, ensuring that decisions support the broader needs of the organization.
* People Leadership: Effectively uses a variety of strategies to enable team members to be as effective and productive as possible, holding individuals and teams accountable. Explains why change is needed, supports others through change, and builds an effective team. Motivates and inspires others and models positive leadership practices.
* Communication & Presence: Communicates effectively with a variety of stakeholders in writing (briefings, presentations) and verbally (meetings, one-on-one). Knows the audience and can adjust the communication accordingly, adapting to questions and audience needs. Projects a positive and poised presence; Is influential, present and attentive
* Self-Management: Manages stress, a variable workload and competing demands. Promotes and models resiliency. Is self-aware and understands how their behaviour impacts others. Acknowledges mistakes and takes responsibility for their actions and work. Is open to learning and demonstrates, through their actions, the importance of self-development.
* Business Acumen: Understanding of BC Hydro’s business context. Able to accurately assess complex Hydro needs and understand how the Category Management practice can address those needs. Apply sound judgement and pragmatic approach to achieve required progress and grow the Category Management practice.
In addition to the above competencies, we are looking for the following in our candidates:
• Quick learner with a growth mindset and team orientation.
• Accountable influencer that shapes perspectives and drives results.
• Planning & Project Management to establish plans and manage the plan(s) and resources to achieve the goal(s) and outcomes.
* Depending on the applicant’s level of qualifications, competencies and experiences they could be considered for a Category Lead position.
* We may hire additional category lead positions
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by July 11, 2022.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com .