The Buyer is responsible for the acquisitions activities within the Purchasing department by performing purchasing functions and related duties utilizing computerized software applications according to established guidelines and work performance standards set by the College.
Education & Experience
- Completion of a two-year diploma in Material Management, Business Management or Public Administration, or equivalent.
- Enrolment in the Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) Designation Program and actively working towards the completion of the SCMP designation.
- Minimum four (4) years related experience as a Buyer in a purchasing organization of substantial size, preferably in the public or education sector.
- An equivalent combination of education and qualifications may be considered.
- Experience in the development of RFP’s, RFQ’s, and Tenders for goods and services; and the development and negotiation of contracts.
- Administering the public-sector bidding process (i.e., BC Bid) preferred.
- Knowledge of purchasing standards, policies, procedures and strategies, procurement strategies, supply management philosophy and techniques.
- Knowledge of various laws and governmental regulations as they relate to the purchasing function (i.e., WCB, federal and provincial taxation, customs, NWTA, Canada Hazardous Products Act, WHMIS, WCB, FOIPPA etc.)
- Strong computer skills with experience using a computerized procurement systems.
- Proficient in the use of computer applications including word processing (i.e., Word), spreadsheet (i.e., Excel), database management (i.e., SharePoint), email, and Internet.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, assists with the development of contracts on behalf of the College.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpretation, and negotiating skills required to evaluate Suppliers, handle pricing competitions, monitor market conditions, and to negotiate prices, delivery dates, and payment terms with vendors.
- Ability to prepare RFQs, RFP’’s, and Tenders.
- Ability to interpret and apply various laws and governmental regulations as they relate to the purchasing function.
- Ability to exercise considerable independence of action and judgement in all aspects of purchasing and a high degree of accountability.
- Ability to liaise with and develop effective working relationships with departments/divisions, and Suppliers.
- Ability to make sound decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- Ability to maintain standard of absolute confidentiality regarding information and records.
- Ability to provide customer service effectively.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:45pm Monday to Friday.