This is purchasing work of an administrative and supervisory nature in assisting a superior in directing purchasing operations and for the independent purchasing of a variety of goods, services, materials, and equipment through selective quotation and formal tender procedures. The work also involves administering and monitoring awarded service and purchase contracts, advising departments on a variety of purchasing matters and recommending sale strategies and arranging for the disposal of obsolete or surplus stock and equipment. In addition, the incumbent supervises a group of subordinates engaged in senior buying and clerical purchasing duties, directs and provides guidance to storekeepers and acts for a superior within defined limits during the latter's absence for short periods of time.
Examples of Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists the Purchasing Manager in directing the purchasing operations for the Municipality.
- Prepares specifications, contracts, tender documents and contract material estimates.
- Performs research and analysis of products, services, supplies, materials, and equipment.
- Advises and assists departmental clients and suppliers regarding purchasing.
- Plans, assigns, checks and supervises the work of subordinates.
- Arranges for the disposal of obsolete or surplus stock and equipment.
- Represents the City in the Cooperative Purchasing Group and administers the City’s purchasing card program.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures and regulations governing municipal purchasing.
- Knowledge of market conditions, price trends and business conditions affecting the work.
- Considerable knowledge of the sources, quantities, types and prices of products and services required.
- Considerable knowledge of contract law, negotiation, and corporate insurance.
- Sound knowledge of accounting systems and procedures as applied to purchasing operations.
- Working knowledge of the functions and requirements of the departments served.
- Ability to assist a superior in administering purchasing operations including making recommendations concerning purchasing policies and practices, and to act for such superior within defined limits during the latter's absence for short periods of time.
- Ability to plan, assign, check and supervise the work of a small group of subordinates, and participate in the selection, training and performance evaluations of subordinates; and to direct and check the work of staff engaged in storekeeping duties.
- Ability to prepare specifications, contracts, and tender documents for a variety of products and services and to monitor and administer such contracts.
- Ability to evaluate quantity, price and service factors to determine quality and suitability of all supplies, services and commodities purchased or leased.
- Ability to study and review market conditions and recommend sale strategies and arrange for disposal of obsolete or surplus stock and equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other employers, salesmen, suppliers and the public.
Required Licences, Certificates and Registration
Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP), or equivalent certification and a valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence for British Columbia.
The City of Delta provides a competitive salary of $43.82 - $51.78/hour and an excellent benefits package including Municipal Pension Plan. Interested applicants are requested to apply online at www.delta.ca/employment, to competition #22-207 EX by December 21, 2022.
Protecting the health and safety of our community and employees remains our number one priority. The City of Delta is committed to taking every precaution reasonable in the circumstances to protect the health and safety of workers from the hazard of COVID-19. The City has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy for all employees. All new employees with the City of Delta are required to provide proof of vaccination from COVID-19, as a condition of employment. The City of Delta will evaluate and accommodate employees who are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 either through medical or human rights exemptions.
More search results
Director, Supply Chain Management
Calian, Advanced Technologies
A & P Cabinets
Purchasing Support Coordinator
AIM Kenny U Pull
Logistics Data Analyst
Team Leader, Distribution (evening shift)