Manager Category Management & Strategic Sourcing
- City of Toronto
- Toronto, Ontario
- $109,600.40 - $128,765.00 / Year
- 2322065 X
- Job Category
- Supply Chain and Purchasing
- Job Type
Manager Category Management & Strategic Sourcing
Job Classification Title MANAGER CATEGORY MGMT & STRAT SOURCING
Requisition # 2322065 X
Division Purchasing & Materials Management
Section Category Management
Work Location METRO HALL, 55 JOHN ST
Job Location Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Job Stream Business Operations
Job Type Permanent, Full-Time
Salary/Rate $109,600.40 - $128,765.00 / Year
Hours of Work (bi-weekly) 70.00
Shift Information Monday to Friday, 35 Hours per Week
Number of Positions Open 4
Posting Date 19-Mar-2019
Expiry date 02-Apr-2019
Reporting to the Director Category Management, Purchasing & Materials Management, you will provide strategic direction, leadership and operational support in the development of the City of Toronto Category Management. We will rely on your expertise in Strategic Sourcing of vendors and contractors within various categories.
As a Manager, Category Management & Strategic Sourcing, you will oversee complex large projects and strategic initiatives, where the category strategy requires an RFX to enable the category objectives and achieve the proposed financial objectives and business value.
We are looking for an established professional who can lead a category management cross-functional team, focusing on benefiting our division and the City of Toronto as a whole.
In this multi-faceted role, you will be assigned the following responsibilities:
- Lead the development and implementation of detailed category management plans and recommend strategies specific to the category along with the division heads.
- Co-lead the development of the Divisional Procurement Plans with the Categories (Divisions) to align with the category strategies.
- Lead the category management and strategic sourcing program and process awareness and education for the categories, sub-categories and cross functional teams on the creation of strategies, governance framework adherence, sourcing opportunity strategy (including go-to-market approach, evaluation and award).
- Manage, motivate and train the unit’s staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourage innovation in others.
- Supervise the day-to-day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorize and control vacation and overtime requests. Monitor and evaluate staff performance, approve salary increments and recommend disciplinary action when necessary.
- Recommend requirements for the annual budget of the unit, and ensure that the unit’s expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Support the Category Leads in the development of all stages of the strategic sourcing project lifecycle of each category.
- Lead the development of detailed scope requirements for category management and strategic sourcing events, budgeting, resource management, planning and scheduling, progress on the strategic sourcing project; managing and mitigating issues and risks; reviewing and approving.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to gain buy-in and assurance of strategic directions for all of the City's categories.
- Oversee the design, development and implementation of functional changes, policies, processes and procedures needed to realize proposed value and/or organizational outcomes.
- Drive the development of new Service Level Agreements (SLAs) or the refinement of existing SLAs to ensure they support proposed business needs.
- Oversee the development and report on detailed project plans of varying levels of complexity that result in major business transformations for all categories, in particular as it relates to implementing Category Management and Strategic Sourcing.
- Oversee all aspects of all strategic sourcing projects for their assigned categories, including the project charter, project plan and schedule, progress, budget, risk management, issue management, change management, resource management, quality review/best practices.
- Lead and participate in the preparation of project budgets and provide financial management (such as sole source requests; contract negotiations; business cases; feasibility and cost benefit analysis.
- Oversee the preparation of various formal contractual documents such as: RFP (Request for Proposal), nRFP (negotiable Request for Proposal), Request for Expression of Interest (REOI), Request for Information/Proposal/Quotation/Resource (RFUP/Q/R), ITAPP, Statement of Work (SOW), Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and Service Level Agreements (SLA).
- Lead the negotiations of commercial terms including pricing, service levels and financial penalties with external proponents in a negotiable RFP event for strategic sourcing large and complex solicitations.
- Support the City's Municipal Legal Team in the negotiations of Terms and Conditions of a negotiated RFP event.
- Negotiate with the executive and senior management, clients and various stakeholders often with competing and conflicting goals, objectives and priorities.
- Work with the Senior Management Team and staff teams to develop and implement change plans to effect change in the organization from ongoing procurement to strategic category management.
- Review, track, evaluates and report on strategic sourcing events including: expenditures and performance to ensure adherence to project schedule, budget, scope, and contract terms.
- Develop and organize project protocols, procedures, relationships, and performance objectives to promote and achieve targets.
- Ensure implementation of strategies and tactics for the procurement of goods and services are effective and efficient.
- Determine requirements, conduct research, develop key performance indicators and obtain required approvals and signoffs.
- Advise the senior management on how to manage categories and lead strategic procurement activities for the categories as assigned.
- Provide leadership and support in decision making and identify opportunities for systemic change in implementation of category management and strategic sourcing.
- Develop project performance measures to ensure timelines of the projects are being met and supporting the overall procurement strategy for the categories assigned.
- Ensure excellent customer service is provided to both internal and external clients.
- Establish and manage a supply chain that will include redeveloping / enhancing a roster of approved contractors/suppliers/consultants, managing the full acquisition, negotiation and implementation process for their categories.
- Facilitate and support the contract award process which will include supporting the drafting of RFx materials, management and issuance of process documents, the vendor selection process and support of ongoing vendor management.
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline, or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Extensive experience in developing and execution of Category Strategies.
- Extensive experience in broad-based sourcing strategies to drive financial benefits (through negotiations, reducing total cost of ownership, demand management and Supplier Relationship Management).
- Considerable experience in the purchasing operations of large public or private organization (knowledge of public sector procurement processes and procedures is an asset).
- Extensive experience leading and motivating staff within operating departments and coaching staff on strategic sourcing approaches.
- Considerable experience in any of the following categories: Technology, Construction, Fleet, and Facilities Management.
- Strong project management skills with ability to organize, control and coordinate a variety of activities in a fast paced environment.
- Effective decision-making and analytical skills, demonstrating innovation and results-oriented leadership and a strong customer service origin
- Highly developed communication skills, both orally and in writing, including the ability to prepare reports, correspondence, presentation material and Council reports, as well as the ability to confidently deliver presentations, facilitate workshops with an outcomes based focus.
- Superior analytical, interpersonal, problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Highly developed sense of discretion, judgment and political acumen to deal with sensitive and confidential matters, with a commitment to the highest level of ethics, value and integrity.
- Ability to build relationships at all organizational levels, with suppliers and in particular senior levels of management, elected officials, internal and external clients.
- Strong ability to drive and influence change in a complex multi-divisional environment
- Familiarity with related government legislation in the areas of Occupational Health and Safety and the Municipal Freedom of Information and the Protection of Privacy Act.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment where all employees and members of the public feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the public and the communities in which we live and serve.
How to Apply:
For more information on these and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2322065 X, by April 2, 2019.
Accommodation: If you are an individual who requires accommodation, due to disability under the Ontario Human Rights Code, to apply for this position, please email us at email@example.com, quoting job ID #2322065 X and the job classification title. The City is committed to providing Code-protected accommodation throughout its hiring process. Please visit Hiring Policies and Statements for further details.